suitable speed sensor

Ask questions and share your eexperience about installing your Acewell equipment

suitable speed sensor

Postby OpaKnack66 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello!
At first I want to shortly introduce myself: My Name is Willie, I'm from Austria and I'm riding a KTM LC4 from 2001.
I probaply want to mount an Acewell ACE-3250 on my Bike, but the original speed sensor is to large to mount it in a proper way.
My first question is, what kind of sensor is used with the 3250 (hall or reed) and then I want to know if I can also use an other sensor maybe an original one from KTM (I think it's a reed sensor because it only has two wires) because for this one would be an adequate mounting thread on my brake calliper.

Thanks ahead for your answer!

Brg
Willie
OpaKnack66

Re: suitable speed sensor

Postby jeff on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Welcome to the forums Willie.

The ACE-3250 includes a reed switch in the kit, and can also accept a signal from any of the Acewell Hall Sensors including the ACE-S4 which is known to fit some KTM's. Take a look at the ACE-S4 photos and compare it to your KTM hall sensor.

You may be able to adapt an original KTM hall sensor to connect to the Acewell 3250 wiring, but I would only go that way if the ACE-S4 does not look like it will fit your LC1.
jeff
Site Admin

Postby OpaKnack66 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Now did I understand this right, that the ACE-3250 also works with reed or hall sensors?
A reed sensor is just switching on/off, so it should be possible to use any other reed sensor, right?
My Problem is, that the thread in my brake calliper is a M8 and the sensor that is in the Acewell kit (I think it is the ACE-S3) has a M12 thread, so it's way to big and I haven't got much space to mount it otherwise.

I'm a little bit confused now. I downloaded the german manual and wiring plan from the german acewell homepage. In the manual for the speed measurement is written hall- or reed sensor and in the wiring plan a sensor with two wires is denoted as hall sensor. On the homepage is also written, that only the original Acewell sensor should be used. Does this mean, that only the original sensor is working right or do they only wan't to avoid problems with their customers for the case when an other sensor isn't working.
OpaKnack66

Postby jeff on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 am

OpaKnack66 wrote:Now did I understand this right, that the ACE-3250 also works with reed or hall sensors?
On the front of all Acewell models is the part number, just below the LCD. If there is a line under the part number then it will work with hall sensors. If you have an older model, then there will not be a line, and it will only work with reed switches.

OpaKnack66 wrote:A reed sensor is just switching on/off, so it should be possible to use any other reed sensor, right?

Yes, as long as it can pick up the signal, you could wire it to the Acewell. But why not use the reed switch included with the ACE-3250, as that will garantee compatibility, adn also, it will plug straight into the wiring loom on the 3250.

OpaKnack66 wrote:My Problem is, that the thread in my brake calliper is a M8 and the sensor that is in the Acewell kit (I think it is the ACE-S3) has a M12 thread, so it's way to big and I haven't got much space to mount it otherwise.

I am not familiar with the LC4 front caliper and hall sensor. The ACE-S3 hall sensor is not included in the ACE-3250 kit. All Acewell computers include the ACE-S reed switch. Can you post a picture, or link to a picture so I can better understand the KTM caliper and speed sensor setup?

OpaKnack66 wrote:I'm a little bit confused now. I downloaded the german manual and wiring plan from the german acewell homepage. In the manual for the speed measurement is written hall- or reed sensor and in the wiring plan a sensor with two wires is denoted as hall sensor. On the homepage is also written, that only the original Acewell sensor should be used. Does this mean, that only the original sensor is working right or do they only wan't to avoid problems with their customers for the case when an other sensor isn't working.

The Acewell hall sensors are known to work with the Acewell computers. That does not mean other hall sensors will not work. If you know what you are doing I am sure you can get the KTM hall sensor to work with the Acewell.
jeff
Site Admin

Postby OpaKnack66 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks for your efforts!
I think, that in Europe they sell different kits, here is a link to that one I want to order: ACE 3250
After I had a closer look at the POLO homepage I think I found the ACE-S4 you recommended to me, but in Europe they seem to have a different product number: TA1
The thread for the speedometer shaft should fit, so I think I'll have a try with this one.
It will take some time, but maybe I'll post some pictures if it works!

Best regards from Austria!
OpaKnack66

Return to Installation